Thursday, October 2, 2008

I have a thought, let me get into a position where the blood will rush to my head while I can still rest my head on my elbows.


Every day I get to work, sit down, cut up my bagel or muffin into bite sized pieces, take a long sip of my latte/coffee/tea/mocha and open Mozilla. My Mozilla home page is the BBC news, which I find to be the one of the last news venues to attempt at honesty and unbiased writing. Not only can I get America's news but I can find out whats happening in Zimbabwe, London, and Australia all before taking a bite of my muffin/bagel, this is something I can't seem to achieve with CNN or other news webpages. Today a golden eye caught my attention.

I should also mention that BBC news has the most interesting stores/headlines like: Snake burst after gobbling gator, Fat cat looking for new home, Security snake(page 4), or Sudan man forced to "marry" goat.
I have a fascination with animal stories.

Back to the golden eye.
After it caught my attention, and I clicked on the link to this picture:
I read on to find out that Marc Quinn was the creator of this statue (said to be the biggest golden statue since Egyptian times) and that he has done many other things like, create a cast of his face in his own blood and make statues of disfigured people (kind of cool). Although, this time around he got Kate Moss to model for him for "perfect" statues.
One: I find it hard to believe that this crack whore is "perfect"
Two: While I believe its art, I wonder why he felt he had to go from lost limbs to crack whores. Was he making the statement: "Look what this statue can do with her limbs! Haha disfigured statue with no arms, bet you can't do that!" I bet he talks to his statues. Makes up conversations for them. Stands behind them using different voices so that he can play all the parts in his narcissistic world. He just can't be normal. I mean, I even talk to my coffee sometimes, and I'm not normal.

I think I have a hard time understanding art these days. I am a traditionalist. Monet, DaVinci, Picasso, Dali, Steadman, I even like Rothko. I don't understand making golden idols (oooo, bibical reference!), blood casts, and putting animals in formaldehyde, like Damin Hirst.
This little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed at home (1996) by Damin Hirst.
What it says to me: "Hey Ma! I took my science project and sold it to some rich dude claiming it was art!"
How many scientist have done this exact thing to try to figure out the workings of the inside of a pig or animal? I bet when they saw this they smacked their heads in disbelief, "Aw, geez, I have a sheep just like that in my lab right now, I wonder if I could sell it for some extra cash for my experiments!"
"Doh!"
It all comes down to a paper I had to write for my art teacher in high school. She asked a simple question, and I had to write a paper on it.
"Is the following picture art or not? Explain why you feel that way."

You can only imagine my response.

No comments: