Monday, September 29, 2008

Remember when you could have sleep overs?


Amanda broke it off with her boyfriend/ex-boyfriend.
She called me in a panic on Saturday.
"I did it," she said almost panting, "I broke it off, I was scared, but I did it."
"Did what?" I asked confused.
"I broke it off with Aaron."
"Aren't you already broken up with him?"
"Yes, but I broke it off from emotional attachment."
"What do you mean?"
"Even though he and I were broken up, I still bought him groceries, picked him up from work, brought him things, watched movies in his room, slept next to him at night. I quit all of it. He doesn't believe me, but I did, I told him, he laughed, but I did it."
"Oh my, good for you, I think this is the step in the right direction."

Later on that evening at 3AM she came into the bar.
"Oh my, Amanda, what are you doing here?"
"I can't sleep. And so I'm walking to Qudoba, do you want anything?"
"Uh, no, but on your way back you should stop back by."
"OK I will."

At four, she showed up with half a burrito and a smile.
"Still feeling good about breaking it off?"
"Yep! I am feeling good."
She sat with two of my co-workers and myself until almost 5. At 5 we went to her apartment and watched a show. After that we both went to bed.

Sunday she called and invited me to watch Casablanca at her apartment.
I left after it was over and ran into Megan.
"I broke it off with Andy."
No, hellos or anything.
"What?! Are you serious?"
"Yea, I was ready for it. I needed to be away from him for awhile."
"But... you've been together for 6 years."
"I know, it was time."
"I'm impressed you are a strong woman."
"You just ended it with Joe."
"I know, but I pushed his buttons repeatedly until he dumped me."
"Still, you knew what you wanted and you did something about it."
(pause)
"Do you want someone else?"
"Yes, but not at the moment, I have some recovery time."
"I understand."

In a matter of 1.5 weeks, three girls ended it with 1 to 6 year relationships.
I wonder if it is something in the air?

No comments: