Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'm not dying therefore I will not eat light ranch.


I told a random lady today that I had breast cancer.
She leaned over to me while I was relaxing against a wall, sucking on a cigarette, and said, "You know, you are killing yourself slowly."

I hate people who
1. push religion
2. try to sell me things
3. and people who tell me exactly how to behave in life, as if, they are perfect beings themselves.

This lady looks like she doesn't brush her teeth, so my first instinct was to say, "Do you know your teeth are rotting?" Instead, I sighed, pushed the rotting remark out of my head and said, "Well, the cancer will kill me first." She, thinking she had won, smartly said, "That's what I mean! Cigarettes give you cancer. OK, the cancer is really what will kill you, but it will be because you are smoking."

People with this much conviction should have been running from my second hand smoke, not standing within a foot of it. It was obvious that this woman just got her jollies from making other people hate her.

"I meant my breast cancer," I said, trying to look pathetic, "I just found out today I have it. I expected it all along because it runs in the family, but I never thought I'd get it at 25! What am I going to do? I'm too young to die. I don't even smoke, I just thought, 'Why not?' I'm already a lost cause."
I looked at her pleadingly.
She was obviously uncomfortable and had no idea what to say.
"Oh, um, I'm so sorry. I didn't know."
She walked off.
I held my pathetic look until she was around the corner and then I smiled to myself.

I'm on the fast track to hell, mon amie.

3 comments:

H said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I LOOOOOVE that you made her feel uncomfortable. That is great! Way to go!

Ophelia said...

Thank you!

Bittersweet Confusion said...

Reminds me of a time my BF and I were on the train and I was admiring a girls outfit. The BF who noticed a woman overly paying attention to our conversation says

"Honey are you having those Lesbian Fantasies again. You know what the lord says about that... It's EVIL! You don't want to go to the bad place do you?"

I look at him and look painstakingly sorrowful and begin rocking back and forth chanting "I accept Jesus as my personal savior I accept Jesus as my personal savior I accept Jesus as my personal savior"

The woman literally stood up and sat on the opposite side of the car... We got off at the next stop and CRACKED UP!

Talk about going to hell... I'll meet ya there!!!